Members in the News
- MA AFCC started providing a new benefit for members, an online directory.
Click here to view the directory and/or to create your member profile.
- MA AFCC members Donna Feinberg and Josh Hoch collaborated to start providing free on-site mediation services to the Norfolk Probate and Family Court Department. The program also provides mediators with skill building and mentoring. Learn more here.
- Congratulations to Judge Carey! Probate and Family Court Chief Justice Paula Carey in July of 2013 will become the Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Trial Court system, succeeding Judge Robert Mulligan, who plans to retire.
- Congratulations to MA AFCC member Donna Feinberg who has been named as the Chief Probation Officer at Norfolk Probate and Family Court.
- MA AFCC thanks Josh Hoch, David Medoff, and Alex Jones for their outstanding performance and lasting contributions to the Chapter.
- Congratulations to Beth Crawford - 2/29/2012 - The Governor’s Council has unanimously approved the nomination of Haydenville attorney Beth A. Crawford to the Hampshire Probate & Family Court bench. Crawford will leave her position as assistant judicial case manager to assume the post vacated by the retirement of Judge Gail L. Perlman. Prior to her arrival at the Probate & Family Court, Crawford practiced privately for nine years in Northampton, specializing in domestic relations, juvenile and criminal law, and worked for four years for the Department of Revenue’s Child Support Enforcement Unit, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette. She is a member of the Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution and the Probate & Family Court Guardianship of Minor Study Task Force, as well as a past president of the Hampshire County Bar Association.Crawford is a graduate of Kenyon College and University of Illinois College of Law.
- Geri Fuhrmann and Bob Zibbell have written a book, Best Practices in Forensic Mental Health:Evaluation for Child Custody, published by Oxford University Press 2012. It is one of a series of books edited by Kirk Heilbrun, Tom Grisso and Alan Goldstein on different types of forensic mental health assessments that combines various standards, professional guidelines, and current research to propose a "best practice" model of evaluation. The first 3 chapters set the foundation including: giving a history of standards used to determine child custody, describing psycho-legal concepts that direct mental health professionals to know what to address, and reviewing relevant research. The final 4 chapters focus on the application including the “how-to” of evaluations, interpretation, report writing, and testimony. The appendices include a summary of the statutory factors in the 50 states, updating one done in a 1989 text, Solomon's Sword.
- Hon. Gail L. Perlman received the Sixth Annual John Adams Fiske Award for Excellence in Mediation. Read more about the award and Judge Perlman on page 21 of Family Mediation Quarterly by clicking here.
- Hon. Jay D. Blitzman wrote an article entitled, "Access to Justice in Juvenile Court" in Massachusetts Law Review, a quarterly publication of the Mass Bar Association. Volume 93, No. 1, Pages 230-243. Read the article.
- David Medoff, Ph.D. David is the new MA AFCC President and his member profile was featured in AFCC News.
- 16 MA Chapter members presented at the 47th Annual AFCC Conference on, "Traversing the Trail of Alienation: Rocky Relationships, Mountains of Emotion, Mile High Conflict" in Denver, CO during June 2 - 5, 2010. In reverse alphabetical order: Bob Zibbell, Ph.D., Peggie Ward, Ph.D., Amy Tishelman, Ph.D., Harry Somers, Ed.D., Marsha Kline Pruett, Ph.D., Hon. Gail Perlman, Alex Jones, J.D., Geri Furman, Psy.D., Hon. Linda Fidnick, Mary Ferriter, J.D., Paul Duffly, Ph.D., Robin Deutsch, Ph.D., Beth Crawford, J.D., Hon. Paula Carey, and Jane Appell, Ph.D.
- Anne Cremonini, LICSW, is now the Assistant Chief Probation Office (ACPO) at the Norfolk County Probate and Family Court Department and is a Board Member of MA AFCC. She recently received the Justice Edward Ginsburg Service award from the MA Chapter of the American Association of Matrimonial Lawyers at a dinner held on February 24, 2010. Congratulations Anne!
- Hon. Linda Fidnick was the keynote speaker at the 5th World Congress on Family Law and Children's Rights which took place in Halifax Nova Scotia during August 23-26, 2009.
- 13 MA Chapter members presented at the 46th Annual AFCC Conference on, "Children, Courts and Custody: Back to the Future or Full Steam Ahead?" in New Orleans during May 27-29, 2009: David Medoff, Ph.D., Mary Ferriter, J.D., M.P.A , Joseph McGill, M.S.W, Marsha Kline Pruett, Ph.D., M.S.L, Deutsch, Ph.D., Peggie Ward, Ph.D. , Hon. Paula Carey, Hon. Arline Rotman, Joanna Bunker Rohrbaugh, Ph.D., William M. Levine, J.D., Jinanne S. Elder, J.D., Hon. E. Chouteau Levine, and Hon. Linda Fidnick.
- Hon. Paul M. Carey was named Chief Justice of the Probate and Family Court by Chief Justice of Administration and Management Robert A. Mulligan.
- Peggie Ward, Ph.D. and Robin Deutsch, Ph.D. designed, funded and conducted an innovative and intensive clinical approach to work with families called, "Breaking Barriers Camp".